Your roofing system is an important part of your home you can’t do away with. With that said, one of the most common roofing materials on most homes today are asphalt shingle roofs. You may not even know it, but you could be a homeowner who uses one yourself. In today’s post, your trusted roofing contractors, 4U Roofing, takes a deep dive on the important components of an asphalt shingle roof and their importance.
1. Asphalt Shingles. Asphalt shingles are used by many homeowners due to their durability and versatility. They provide the primary water shedding surface for your roof which helps against roof leaks and prevents water damage from occurring. Usually, they come in either fiberglass or organic materials. Organic shingles are made of felt paper with an asphalt coating applied, while fiberglass shingles are coated with a protective resin that makes it durable. Their main difference is in the base of the shingle, but you won’t go wrong with either option.
2. Ice and Water Barriers. These barriers are one of your best friends during the cold months. They protect areas along your roof that are vulnerable to leaking water such as the valleys, chimneys, or gaps between your shingles.
3. Underlayment. Your underlayment is present as a backup barrier should your shingles fail. They prevent water from leaking further into your home due to its waterproof surface. Most roof repair contractors recommend checking on your underlayment regularly for any signs of damage.
4. Starter Strips. The starter strips are important in securing your asphalt shingle installation. They secure your shingles by applying the first row of sealant which prevents your shingles from tearing off and stop roof leaks from occurring.
5. Hip and Ridge Products. These additions provide the finishing touches for your roof. Besides enhancing your asphalt shingles’ design, they are functional additions to your roof as well.
6. Ventilation System. Your ventilation keeps your attic’s temperature in check. Having a humid and hot attic can cause mold growth and premature aging which will damage your roof and lead to costly roof repairs. Most of all, they keep your home comfortable and energy-efficient.
At 4U Roofing, your satisfaction is our business. We’re GAF-certified® roofers that are rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau®. We’re focused on giving you and your roof our best workmanship, and we’ll get the job to your complete satisfaction. Call us at (251) 235-2222 or fill out our contact form to request a quote.