The asphalt shingle is a classic American roofing choice. This architectural, multi-layered roofing material came from humble beginnings and, since then, has continued to beautify and protect homes. To help you understand this popular roofing option better, here are seven fast facts from roof repair experts, 4U Roofing.
1. The invention of asphalt shingles evolved from coal tar. Back in the 1840s, coal tar was used to saturate layers of felt to produce a rolled sheet, and then covered with sand or ground shell. A few innovations later, this process became the backbone of one of the most important roofing materials today.
2. Shingles were first used in 1903. Henry M. Reynolds of Grand Rapids, Michigan, started hand-cutting individual shingles in 1903. This process improved the product’s versatility and visual appeal.
3. Asphalt shingles are versatile. Roofing contractors offer shingles in different angles, shapes, and colors. This means asphalt shingles can complement just about any type of roof or home style. This type of roof covering is widely used in North America.
4. Asphalt shingles have different architectural styles. Strip shingles come in single layers and have a flat appearance on the roofline. Dimensional and premium shingles come in dual or multiple layers. They can mimic the look of other roofing materials like slate and cedar shakes.
5. Asphalt shingles have a long service life. Depending on the installation and maintenance, asphalt shingles can promise to last for around 30 years. Once they’ve completed their lifespan, they can be reused as pavements or roads.
6. Asphalt shingles have high impact resistance. Shingles with a fiberglass mat base are extremely strong and have waterproofing properties. They can also resist impact from hailstorms and high winds.
7. Asphalt shingles are easy to install. Although shingles are fairly easy to install and require less costs, some roofers may still do better installation work than others. Be sure to find a highly experienced and trained roofing company to optimize the value of your new roof.
Asphalt shingles are beautiful and effective materials that can upgrade your home. For superior quality products and installation services, turn to 4U Roofing. Call us at (251) 235-2222 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free, no obligation consultation.